There are many things that are often present in the garage. Usually you will have a toolbox, a garage vacuum, a workbench, power tools, and air compressor, among others. One thing that is uncommon, yet can be useful in more ways than one, is the best garage heater. This will especially be helpful during the cold season.
For a lot of people, the garage is underutilized. However, if you consider the possibility of having a heater, you can use the space efficiently. You can use it as a small home gym, or even a workspace. All that you need is to provide the heating that is necessary.
Clueless about which garage heater can provide the best value for money? If you are wondering, keep on reading, and we’ll provide you with valuable insights. From the essential factors to consider to the top choices that are available in the market, we hope that this article will help you.
What is a Garage Heater?
Also known as the shop heater, the primary function of this appliance is to provide spot heating that is needed in your garage. This is an essential investment for the winter if you live in a place that is basically cold year-round. They are known for their energy-efficiency, allowing such to be used without worrying that electricity will shoot up. Also, as it will be mentioned later, there are different sources of power, including gas or kerosene.
Depending on the specific brand and model of the garage heater that will be chosen, their power and functionality can vary. More often than not, however, their power will range from 1,500 to 5,600 watts. With the latter, they will be enough for heating space with a size of 150 to 560 square feet.
Types of Garage Heater
Garage heater can be categorized in different ways, and one would be through the way they are installed. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
- Fixed Garage Heaters: This means that the garage heater is mounted, usually in the ceiling or wall. They are wired and they cannot be moved once they are already installed unless you unscrew it. They are also usually more powerful compared to their counterparts.
- Portable Garage Heaters: As the name implies, this is a type of heater that is movable. You can adjust its position or bring it in any other indoor space that needs to be heated. They are excellent in terms of versatility, as they can be used in different places.
Meanwhile, the garage heaters can also be categorized on the basis of their heating mechanism. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
- Electric or Fan-Forced: From all the types, this is perhaps the most popular. They are known for many benefits that they can deliver, specifically its ease of installation. First, electricity will be converted into heat. After this, the fan will draw cold air from the garage and then blow it again to create the heating effect. They are also known for the ability to heat quickly.
- Radiant: In the case of this type, it will provide spot heating. This means that the heat will be directed to a specific target. It does not warm the entire space. This is an excellent choice if you want to heat only a specific portion of the garage. However, you need to be always near it to feel the heat produced.
- Infrared: This uses innovative infrared wavelengths to produce heat. It does not come with a fan, which is beneficial because this means that it will not produce a loud noise. Similar to radiant heaters, it also directs the heat in a specific portion of the garage.
- Natural Gas, Diesel, or Kerosene: While the products that have been mentioned above use electricity as the main supply of energy, these models use gas. They are also portable since they do not require electricity. However, they usually have high risks, which is why caution must be observed in their use.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you try to look for the best garage heater, the following are some of the most important factors that should be taken into account:
- Power: This is one of the most important technical specifications that should be considered. It will be indicative of the power and performance of the heater. The source of power or type of the heater will have an impact on how powerful it will be.
- Size of the Garage: This is important to ensure the heating efficiency of the heater that you will purchase. If you have a large garage, you need a more powerful heater. If not, you will end up still suffering from a cold temperature.
- Installation: This is especially important for models that are fixed in a specific position. You should be able to install it in a snap. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions to let you easily accomplish its assembly.
- Safety: Do not also forget to pay attention to the safety features that you can find in the product. This can provide you with peace of mind in its use. For instance, for portable models, it is good if it automatically switch off if in case it trips. There should also be protection from overheating and the housing must stay cool, even with prolonged use.
Top Picks for the Best Garage Heater
Heats Up To
450 Square Feet
600 Square Feet
1,350 Square Feet
500 Square Feet
400 Square Feet
If you are having a hard time deciding which one to choose, the following are the products you might want to consider.
In sum, the best garage heater will indeed be a necessary investment. This will help you to make use of a space that is often not utilized efficiently. You can turn the garage into a workshop or use it for any other purpose. Even when just working with basic car repairs, the addition of a heater will be a great thing, as it can make you more productive. However, this does not mean that you can choose just any product. To fully maximize the benefits, you need to do your research and decide thoroughly. With this, it would be best if you narrow down the possibilities to the five products we have mentioned above.
Are you looking for other products for your garage or car? Click here and discover more possibilities.