There is a lot of epoxy primers available, which makes it complicated to decide which one to buy. Aside from all the brands, there are also a number of different types and each one’s purpose is specific. There are primers whose materials are made of lacquer, urethane or acrylic and they also come in different colors.
In this article, we will have a discussion about everything you need to know about epoxy primers. What it is, its benefits, some of its types, as well as the important factors to consider will be discussed. We will also have a section wherein we will discuss the top four recommendations for the best epoxy primer. With each one’s features, pros and cons, we hope you will be well informed after reading this article.
What is an Epoxy Primer
An epoxy primer is a sealer whose finish is non-porous. Most of the time, it is used to ready the bare metal for coating or painting. To add, it is also recommended as the initial coat on top of the bare steel. It is often used to paint over plastic, iron phosphate coating or even fiberglass.
Though it not recommended to use to fill imperfections, it can be used on dents, as well as on cracks. It has an excellent bonding capacity that makes a great finish on the surface of the metal. It provides outstanding adhesion to metals and it also serves as the correct base paint for additional undercoat products. To sum up, it is the perfect choice to repair portions wherein there is exposed metal.
Using epoxy primers provides the user a lot of advantages aside from maximum protection and adhesion. The main advantage of epoxy primers is that they don’t soak up moisture because they are non-porous. Since it’s waterproof, it is the excellent choice for its corrosion-resistant characteristics. Another thing is that they can be used for tank exteriors, power plants, water treatment and power plants and marine applications.
Another benefit of epoxy primers is that it can be used to waterproof surfaces that are usually exposed to oxidation. They are also used on steel coatings for high build extra layer of paint. Lastly, they are fitted to use on prepared concrete and steel.
Types of Epoxy Primers
In this section, we will be discussing the types of epoxy primers. This section is also very important since it can also help you in narrowing down your choices. Pick one that is perfect for your specific needs and intended applications.
- Aerosol Can Epoxy Primer: If you want the convenience that a spray nozzle can offer, this would be perfect for you. With spray gun results, you can ensure that the application is even on the surfaces of metals. The only downside of this can be the limited content. You may be working on a project and before you know it, the can is empty. That’s why buying spare cans is advisable if you want this type of epoxy primer.
- Large Bottle or Bucket Epoxy Primer: This is the more common type of epoxy primer. It comes in two parts, the epoxy primer and the hardener. The two components should be mixed thoroughly before application. The advantage of this type of primer is that you can calculate the amount you will be using. Another great feature is that you can store it for extended periods of time.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Epoxy Primer
Before we end our discussion of the best epoxy primer, we should lastly talk about what to look for. There are great epoxy primers available in the market right now, that’s why choosing the best one can be frustrating. If you take a look at this list, we’ll be giving you the factors you have to take into consideration.
- Easy to Use: You might want an epoxy primer that is very easy to use. You don’t want any complications or complex instructions when the job is very easy. Some products in the list provided above need to have their contents mixed and some come in sprays. The one you should buy should be dependent on the purpose you are using it for.
- Corrosion Resistance: The one you should buy must have this capability. As epoxy primers are applied for superior adhesion, corrosion resistance should also be considered.
- Application: Some products cannot be applied to every surface. Buy an epoxy primer that can be applied to a variety of surfaces such as fiberglass, plastic and steel.
- Price: In searching for the best epoxy primer, price should also be considered as a defining factor. There are a lot of expensive ones that do not deliver outstanding results. That’s why it is very important that you review which one is more valuable for your money than the others.
Top Four Recommendations for the Best Epoxy Primer
In this section, we will be discussing the top four choices for the best epoxy primer. We will talk about some of their features, as well as their pros and cons. This section is considered as one of the most important, so you have to pay attention.
Now that we have discussed all you need to know about epoxy primers, we hope we gave you some enlightenment. Choosing the best epoxy primer may be tricky, but with this guide, it should be an easier task. With the product reviews, their pros and cons, you will be able to narrow down your choices in picking the best one.
Looking for other products that you can buy and use for your vehicle? Click here to learn more about other options that you can consider.