In recent years, electric vehicles have been more popular as a part of the growing trend towards having eco-conscious modes of transportation. More and more companies have been coming up with innovative vehicles, which are meant to lessen carbon emissions, and hence, minimizing negative impacts on the environment.
If you are on the lookout for the best electric vehicle charging station, keep on reading the rest of this guide and we will let you know some of the top choices that you might want to consider. We will also discuss some of the considerations that will require careful thought, as well as the different types that you can find in the market.
What Factors Should You Consider Before Choosing the Best Electric Vehicle Charging Station
For those who have doubts on which one will make the best choice, below are some considerations that might make it easier for you to arrive at the right decision:
- Ease of Use: One of the most important is for the product to be user-friendly, not only when it comes to operation, but also its installation. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions on how to use the product. It must be devoid of complications.
- Reviews: For those who are still undecided on which to pick, it is also best to consult on the feedbacks of other users. Through their first-hand experiences, you will be able to easily weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities.
- Charging Time: You can opt for slow, fast, or rapid charger. More of this will be tackled in the latter part of this article. Obviously, the faster ones will be the better choice, but the problem is that they can also be costly.
- Technical Specifications: To be a responsible buyer, you need to look at the technical details and know what they mean. For instance, consider the amperage, voltage, and wattage. You need to learn how they will have an impact on the performance of the electric vehicle charging station.
- Safety: There are products with inferior quality, and hence, they can pose threats. With this, buy only a charging station that has undergone and passed stringent tests, which should be a proof that it goes in accordance with the global standards.
- Warranty: A product with a longer warranty option will definitely be a tempting choice since you can have peace of mind. This is because if there are defects that are apparent, the manufacturer can handle the repair and replacement of the parts without any added cost on your end.
Top 5 Choices for the Best Electric Vehicle Charging Station
Below, we will let you know five of the popular products that are worth taking into account. We will list down a few of their notable features, as well as some of their pros and cons, which will be useful in trying to narrow down the possibilities.
Different Types of the Best Electric Vehicle Charging Station
As you try to slim down the options that are available, think about how they are different from each other. Among others, one of the first considerations would be the speed at which they will charge your electric vehicles. In this case, the following are the options that you have:
1. Level One Charger
- From the three types based on the charging speed, this one is the slowest.
- Will use 120 volts of power to charge your electric vehicle
- For an empty battery, it will take about eight hours before it can be fully-charged
- Installation cost is low
- An affordable option for many who are still new in electric vehicles
- Can be connected to any wall socket
- Can charge battery that is good for two to five miles per hour
2. Level Two Charger
- Electric vehicles that are charged using this type of charger will have an additional runtime of ten to twenty miles per hour
- For short charges, it can deliver higher energy efficiency compared to Level One Charger
- The installation cost is higher
- Will need 240 volts of power
- The wiring requirements are similar to those used for stove or dryers
3. DC Fast Charger
- This is the fastest from the three types, but also the most expensive when it comes to product price, installation costs, and operation
- Drastic reduction in charging time, allowing users to charge their battery to up to 80% in under half an hour
- If you live in a place with extremely cold weather, it may not be as reliable in terms of its battery charging performance
- Make use of direct current instead of the usual alternating current
- More often than not, this is a practical choice only for public facilities because of its excessive costs
Quick Tips in Using the Best Electric Vehicle Charging Station
Keep in mind the things that will be mentioned below, which we believe will be essential in making the most out of your electric vehicle’s battery and the charging station as well:
- You need to know when enough is enough, especially if you are in a public charging station and the line is already getting too long. In most instances, most owners of electric vehicles consider 80% to be enough if they are charging in public.
- To be able to conserve battery and to minimize the need to frequently charge the battery, it will be best to reduce your speed when driving. The faster your speed is, the more it will be able to drain your vehicle’s battery. Also, keep in mind that as of these days, electric vehicles are not meant to be driven like sportscars.
- Download compatible mobile apps. Not all electric vehicle charging stations can be connected to an app. In the same way, not all apps will have universal compatibility. The good thing about apps is that you will be able to easily monitor everything.
- Pay attention to safety. If you are installing your own charging station at home, it will be good to read the instructions from the manufacturer, especially the part that outlines how to install the product the right way. The right location will also help to minimize the possible hazards.
- Do not be afraid to ask for help, especially when it comes to installation. There are some manufacturers who will offer expert installation services as a part of the bundled price of the product. This is a good choice if you are not into electric cars and if you are admittedly someone who is not into technical complications.
If you have finally decided to join the electric vehicle trend, you need to invest in the right charging station. The best electric vehicle charging station is an investment that you are sure to love. Make sure to pick one that has been well-received by its users. Pay attention to technical specifications as well to determine how powerful and reliable one product can be.
Are you looking for other products that will also be useful for the garage? Click here and read some of our buying guides that will help you to determine some tools that you might need for an electric vehicle.